Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Crockpot Corned Beef, Cabbage &Carrots


The crock pot corned beef, cabbage & carrots supper was a HUGE success. I really thought when I was putting all the ingredients in my largest crock pot that I was definitely going to have leftovers for another crock pot recipe.... boy, was I wrong! There were five of us and nothing was left...Everyone Loved it !!!

Here is how I did it:
  • (1) 3 - 4 pound beef brisket
  • 1 head of cabbage, cored and cut into 8 wedges
  • (1) 16 ounce package of baby carrots
  • 4 cups (or 1 - 32 ounce container) of chicken broth
  • 3 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
  • 2 1/2 cups of apple juice
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons of pickling spice (I found this at the grocery store, but McCormick's brand was the only one that had this blend)  (or use spices that comes with your beef brisket)
Place the brisket, fatty side up, in the bottom of a 6 - 7 quart crock pot. Put the other ingredients into the crock pot in the order listed.
Cook on low for 7 - 9 hours or on high for 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours. Remove corned beef and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Remove excess fat from beef before slicing. 
*VERY IMPORTANT* Slice the meat thinly and against the grain** This will insure the best flavor and the tenderest meat.
Take the cabbage and carrots out to put on serving platter immediately before serving. This was accompanied perfectly by mashed potatoes instead of boiled potatoes....Otherwise serve with boiled potatoes......

**NOTE** Corned beef can be bought at the meat counter. It is usually vacuum sealed and a small spice packet is included. Corned beef is a beef brisket that has been brined.   I like to buy the brisket and use my own "brine" type liquid to braise it in because I can control the sodium content. But by all means, by the already brined "corned beef" if you wish and use it in place of the brisket in this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment